Skip to main content

My Flower 'የኔ አበባ'

My Flower
   'የኔ አበባ'
  By Solomon Belete Haile

I heard the birds singing,
Robin, chickadee, and starling,
In the fresh air of spring,
It was my flower's time too,
To flourish and blossom,
Under the blue, bright sky's bosom,
Beneath a cheerful moon,
A canopy of bright stars,
Swelling surf and new grass.

Alas, my flower,
She'd been through rough weather,
The wind, the chill, the stormy winter,
Leave her alone, come on gardener,
It is spring, let her prosper.

The gardener planted a flower,
Atop Ethiopia's highland 'Wollo meder',
Adorned her with beauty and glamour,
Nurtured her with aroma and savor.

She was gentle, yet strong,
Swayed in the wind but never broke,
Blossomed for a spell but not for long.

Her tall stemmed stature,
Flamingo akin splendor,
Transplanted up yonder,
By the swift action of the gardener.

Oh, benevolent, caring gardener,
What have you done with my flower?
If you wonder why I am despondent,
Withdrawn from life, lacked interest,
Here is my answer:
I missed my flower.

It seems to me unfair and absurd,
Justifying the wrong and lopsided,
I'm not questioning the Gardner's wit,
And yet,
I am left bewildered and puzzled.

Kibitzers suggest at times: 
To take a moment and a deep breath,
To search and find the silver lining,
That I may justify your doing;
But, where is the silver lining?

Why disrupt that pretty flower,
Why pick her up instead of another?
In your garden, she seemed at ease,
To our look and tactile embrace.

Now that she is uprooted,
Taken suddenly and lifted,
Relocated to a new abode,
What's left of her to exude,
Are a few petals, buds,
And a memory of her resplendent.

  Abeba Belete Blazek 
(May 19, 1962 - July 19, 2003)


UNDUE BEMOAN
(A Sequel to ‘My Flower’)

By Solomon Belete Haile

June 24, 2020

             


A wrong perception of the world,

Arising from an upended mind,

Produced an elegy derided;


A clay spoke up to the potter,

Belittled his doing and manner,

Imparted a lesson to its maker,

Deducing from the actions of its master,

Sound off a lengthy lecture,

Screeds polemic insincere;

The molded slandered the molder,

Unbeknownst to its fare,

Harangued balderdash of despair;


A worm confronts a farmer,

Insisting for an answer,

what a fool it was to utter,

Hasty words of despair,

laying blame on the Gardner,

Said: ‘what have you done to my flower?’

‘Leave her alone, come on gardener,’


I am the clay, the miserable worm,

A doleful creature in a conundrum;

‘Has the potter no right over the clay,

To do what he pleases’ nay my cry? 


Who am I to utter those words,

Seemingly true but nescience,

Against the author of life and death,

Who am I to exclaim,

A nonsensical voice in humdrum; 

As if all along that flower was mine,

Misplacing ownership which was thine;


Thank God for my second thought,

I goggled at the apparent fault, 

Spared from Nebuchadnezzar’s fate,

Here I am to repent,

for an utterance of undue dissent,

I’m not stricken with boanthropy,

For poetry marked with blasphemy;


The gaffe in my own locution,

Overridden with blind intuition,

Directed towards the sovereign,

Is nothing other than a sin;


What was wrong and lopsided, 

Was not your rule and command;

As the faculty of my belief erred,

For lack of knowledge in your word,

This poor soul bemoaned,

An elegy misguided,

Towards my benevolent Lord,

Despite your grace and good deed;


As the Spirit pervaded conviction,

A soul engulfed in contrition;

Driven with divine volition,

Surrendered to discern your doctrine,

Behold the truth, here is a lesson,

‘For from him and through him 

And to him are all things,

To him be glory forever; Amen’.


I came to terms with life’s gain,

With losses sustained due to sin,

I trust you for now and forever,

Sovereign Lord, lone conquerer!






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Sojourners

" Enoch walked with God , and he was not,for God took him." (Gen. 5:24 ESV) "Noah was a righteous man, blameless in his generation. Noah walked with God ." (Gen. 6:9 ESV) "For David, after he had served the purpose of God in his own generation , fell asleep..."(Acts 13:36 ESV) Jesus Prayed to the Father: " I glorified you on earth, having accomplished the work that you gave me to do ." (John 17:4 ESV) Paul the apostle wrote: "For I am already being poured out as a drink offering, and the time of my departure has come. I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing ." (2 Timothy 4:6-8 ESV) "Therefore, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us also lay aside every weight, and sin which

CHRISTMAS: A CATHOLIC TRADITION

By Solomon Belete A Response To Greg Koulkl’s Christmas Promoting Article I read an article by Greg Koukl promoting Christmas, posted on brother Tesfaye Robele's Facebook page. Tesfaye Robele's prologue to the paper and Greg Koukl's apologetics for this Catholic tradition prompted my reaction to write a response. Therefore, you'll find Robele's prologue, Koukl's article, and my answer in that order. Tesfaye Robele's prologue to the article reads:  "Jehovah's witnesses do claim that celebrating Christmas (and everything associated with it) is a pagan origin! It is a logical fallacy to judge the truth or falsehood of a proposition on the basis of its source of what motivates someone to believe it (its genesis). In other words, the legitimacy (reliability) of sources or motives does not make a proposition true or false. Thus it is a fallacy to assume or conclude that religious beliefs or practices are false just because they are acquired by psycholo

Surprised by His Love

In a Sunday Bible study session at a small Church in Piazza, the center of Addis Ababa, an Ethiopian Bible teacher,  Menelik Asfaw,   was vehemently expounding the preeminence of Love. It has been quite a while, about fifteen years ago, but I still remember his teachings quite vividly. He taught from the 13th chapter of Paul's first epistle to the Corinthians. I remember him drawing zeros for every attribute the apostle Paul described between verses one and three, beginning with the word: "IF." That is, "If I speak in the tongues of men (0) and of angels (0) but have not love, I am a noisy gong or a clanging cymbal. And if I have prophetic powers (0), and understand all mysteries (0) and all knowledge (0), and if I have all faith, so as to remove mountains (0), but have not love, I am nothing. If I give away all I have (0), and if I deliver up my body to be burned (0) but have not love, I gain nothing." I remember him adding zeros after zeros on the blackboard b